Marriage Licenses, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships

Please call in advance to schedule an appointment with the registrar’s office. Municipal offices are closed on Wednesdays

In order to obtain a marriage/ civil union/ domestic partnership license, the applicants must visit the Knowlton Registrar of Vital Statistics. This page outlines everything you’ll need to know about applying for one of these licenses.

Please call ahead for an appointment.
Doreen Apgar, Knowlton’s registrar, may be reached by calling 908-496-4816 extension 6.

Civil Unions

On December 21, 2006, New Jersey’s governor signed the state’s civil unions bill into law, giving same-sex couples all the legal benefits, protections, rights, and responsibilities available under state law to married couples. This legislation, which amends New Jersey’s marriage statute, took effect on February 19, 2007.

The civil union law is not affected by the New Jersey Supreme Court’s October 2013 ruling allowing same-sex marriage. The civil union law remains in full force and effect. More information regarding New Jersey civil union and same-sex marriage can be found at

Who Should Apply

You would apply for a marriage/ civil union/ domestic partnership license in Knowlton if…

  • either party resides in Knowlton Township OR
  • neither party is a resident of New Jersey but the marriage ceremony will be performed in Knowlton

For your convenience, we have made the application available online. Go to the main page of this website, and look under the “FORMS” tab for “Marriage/ Civil Union/ Domestic Partnership License Application.” If you complete the form in advance, please do not fill out the second page as it must be signed under oath in the presence of the issuing authority.

Age Requirements

Applicants must both be at least 18 years old.


The application fee is $28, payable by check or money order.

  • Who can perform the ceremony?
  • any federal, state, municipal judge or magistrate (even if they are retired)
  • any county clerk
  • any mayor or deputy mayor of a town
  • any religious minister

When should I apply for a marriage/ civil union/ domestic partnership license?

Licenses will not be issued sooner than 72 hours after the application has been made unless ordered to do so via a Superior Court order. If the ceremony is scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday, the application should be made no later than the preceding Tuesday.

If the couple wishes to have both a civil and religious ceremony performed on the same day, two licenses will be issued on the basis of a single application but two fees will be collected. If the couple wishes to have two religious ceremonies and wants to have a public record of each, they must apply for only one license, use it, and then return to the registrar, complete another license application and pay the $28.00 fee. The same application form is used for both licenses; the distinction is made by checking the box at the top of the form indicating the application is for a “Reaffirmation of Marriage” license.

What documents should I bring?

Both parties must appear in person to apply for the license. You will need to bring proof of identity: current valid driver’s licenses or passports (cannot be expired), a birth certificate is helpful but not a required document. You must submit your social security numbers and provide proof of residency such as a driver’s license, lease, tax return, etc.

A witness who is at least 18 years of age must appear with the applicants and swear to the completeness and accuracy of the answers supplied by the applicants.

If either party has been in a marriage, domestic partnership, or civil union before, a copy of a death certificate, divorce decree, dissolution of civil union, or termination of domestic partnership is helpful, but not required documents. Dates and locations, however, must be submitted.

If the parties cannot come in at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application and start the waiting period. The other applicant must return with the same witness to complete his/her part of the application. The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued.

How long is the license valid?

Marriage/ civil union/ domestic partnership licenses are valid for thirty days from the date they are issued.