All births, deaths, marriages, civil unions, and domestic partnerships occurring within the township are recorded by the Knowlton Township Registrar of Vital Statistics. Copies of any of these documents may be obtained through this office.
Pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order #18, the registrar may only issue a certified copy of a vital record to persons who establish themselves as the subject of the vital record, the subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative, spouse, child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age.
In addition to authenticating your relationship to the subject of the vital record, you must submit proof of your identity. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- a valid photo driver’s license with current address OR
- a valid non-photo driver’s license plus an alternate form of ID with address OR
- a photo ID non-driver’s license OR
- two alternate forms of ID with address (see below)
Alternate forms of identification:
- vehicle registration
- insurance card
- voter registration
- green card
- county ID
- school ID
- utility bill
For your convenience, we have made our application available online. Go to the main page of this website, look under “Forms,” and print and complete the “Geneaological Certification or Certified Copy of a Vital Record Application.” Either bring or mail the completed application to our office along with the two forms of identification required above and a check or money order made payable to Knowlton Township. If you are applying in person, please bring original documents. If you are mailing the application, please supply copies.
- Birth Certificate: Knowlton Township does not supply copies of birth certificates. All birth certificates, including for home births, are handled by the state.
- Marriage/Civil Union/Domestic Partnership Certificate: $4
- Certified copies of marriage/ civil union/ domestic partnership licenses may be obtained for couples whose ceremony was performed in Knowlton only.
- Death Certificate: $4
- Certified copies of death certificates may be issued for people who have died in Knowlton only.
Births occurring over 80 years ago, marriages occurring over 50 years ago, and deaths occurring over 40 years ago are considered genealogical and copies of these records are maintained by the State of New Jersey’s Department of Health. Visit the state’s website at: https://www.nj.gov/health/vital/order-vital/genealogical-records/ for more information or copies.